All kitchen knives are not the same, in most cases, fashionable stores can be found vending poor value knives at a much high price, whereas you can find better and affordable quality and less popular type. Most people do not know how to buy kitchen knives suitable for their needs. Kitchen blades is an investment that is used every day in cooking and for this reason, it is crucial to consider factors such as quality, durability, excellent handling and strength.
Prior to going out to buy the best kitchen knives, think about the kind of knife suitable for you and your kitchen. Knives are accessible in a wide range of sizes and shapes which can meet several needs depending on your style and way of cooking.
Guide Tips When Buying Kitchen Knives.
1. Hold every knife in your hand. The comfortable handle should fit right in the hand.
2. Check where steel is located on the knife and how much of it. The knife should be free from any signs of welding especially the hilt. Weak knives tend to break.
3. Weight. Light choppers are appropriate for speed while thick ones require more strength to chop. Thick blades are excellent with harder foods such as ginger, therefore, purchase according to your needs.
4. Balance. It is essential to check balance of the knife; quality knives have right balance on both handle and blade. Place a finger on the grip at the blade end; hold the knife with the cutting edge facing downward. It should be balanced on both ends.
5. The hilt of the knife. The hilt should be joint well, stable and easy to clean. Any noticeable gap on the joint will cause weakness and trap food particles and cause spread of bacteria.
6. Handle material. The type of equipment used to make the knife should be considered. The handle is mostly made of plastic, wood, hardened resins and other materials.Knives with bone handles old fashioned and break after some time and can cause injury, therefore not a better choice.
7. Blade. The kind of material the blade is made from is a crucial factor to consider. The best blade should made from ceramic since it is sharpened; it can also hold the sharpness for long and doesn’t rust.
8. Chopping edge width. The edge should be smooth without any sign of spitting.
9. Focus on value and not brand. Any knife of high quality can be of excellent service.
For good quality set of knives, remember to invest in steel and sharpening stone, this will maintain a real cutting edge.